Jacinto Vaz, Champion Alvares etc come alive at TAG programeVideo - Singing
Jacinto Vaz, Champion Alvares etc come alive at TAG’s Programe today
11th April 2012.
11th April 2012.
Remembering Tiatr Artistes of Yester years
‘Somplelea Tiatristancho Ugddas’, the monthly programme of Tiatr Academy of Goa (TAG) held on 11th April 2012 at 4:45 pm at Black Box, Ravindra Bhavan, Margao Goa. The artistes of tiatr stage who were born in the month of April and who are no more living were remembered in the programme. These artistes are Jacinto Vaz, A.S.Conception, Nelson Afonso, Champion Alvares, Fidelis Fernandes, William de Curtorim, Thomas Coogan and Souza Boy.
- Jacinto Vaz was one of the best comedians of the Konkani tiatr stage. He earned the nick name ‘Charlie Chaplin’ on account of his brilliant acting in comedy roles. He was also a very good playwright, director and singer.
- A.S.Conception was a great ‘character artiste’. He highly entertained the audiences with his impressive acting and singing. Being a part of the famous trio ‘Anthony-Nelson-Conception’, he achieved great fame and their trios kept Goans alert and vigilant on critical issues.
- Nelson Afonso was a very good script writer, director, lyricist, and singer. He created history by introducing the ‘Revolving Stage’ in his much acclaimed tiatr ‘Dolorosa’.
- Champion Alvares was a script writer, director, lyricist, singer and fine actor. He acted in comedy roles as well as performed female roles with great ability. He is particularly known for composing and singing folk-songs which truly enriched Goan culture.
- Fidelis Fernandes was a well-known musician of the Konkani tiatr stage. He was a trumpet player and contributed immensely to the development of Konkani Song and Music by playing excellent music in several tiatrs.
- William de Curtorim was a popular writer, director, lyricist, and singer. He was known by people as ‘Jet Speed Singer’. He was a bold and fearless singer who exposed hypocrisy, corruption and nepotism through his political songs, due to which he was extremely popular among the masses.
- Thomas Coogan was one of the best actors and singers of tiatr. He was also a good playwright. His speciality was that he enacted Hindu roles with great perfection and ease.
Family of Champion Alvares, Fidelis, William de Curtorim, Jacinto Vaz etc were also present
Osvy Viagas, CD Silva, Anil Kumar, Sister of Fidelis, Tony King, Son of Champion Alvares etc spoke on the ocassion.
Singers were Sons and daughter of Champion Alvares -Teo, Irene, Tony,
Sucoro de Sta Cruz and little Cassie, grand daughter of William de Curtorim
Champion Alvares family
Sucoro de Sta Cruz, TAG’s Member Secretary Victor De Sa and Ex- President of TAG Tomazinho Cardozo